Guide to Vinyl Plank Flooring
Vinyl plank flooring is a popular flooring option because of its ease of installation and inexpensive price tag. Vinyl plank flooring is designed to be more cost efficient than hardwood, while mimicking its design, color and finish. Manufactured to come in standard sizes common to wood floors, it can be difficult for an individual to tell the difference between a vinyl plank floor and a traditional hardwood floor.
Advantages of Vinyl Plank Flooring
There are many advantages of vinyl plank flooring including:
- Resistance to water. Vinyl plank flooring is waterproof and can therefore be installed in high moisture areas such as the bathroom or kitchen.
- Easy maintenance. Homeowners get the same visual appeal as a higher quality product but enjoy easier maintenance. Spills and stains can also be mopped up quickly.
- Price. When compared to other flooring options, the cost of the vinyl product itself is much lower and installation is often a fraction of the cost of hardwood.
Disadvantages of Vinyl Plank Flooring
While minimal, some disadvantages of vinyl plank flooring include:
- Non biodegradable. Vinyl is not the right flooring option for environmentally conscious consumers because it is made of a non biodegradable material that is difficult to recycle.
- Thickness of the product. Coming in a variety of thicknesses, you may need to install a subfloor to help reduce sound and for additional comfort.
- Special products for cleaning. Most homeowners need to spend little time cleaning their vinyl floors; however, most vinyl floors require specific cleaners made by the manufacturer to prevent the finish from becoming worn.
Vinyl flooring is not the flooring option for all homeowners in San Diego. If you are unsure if vinyl floors are the right fit for your home, visit the Unique Flooring showroom today. Our expert flooring designers will carefully listen your needs and provide you with a wide variety of options and can discuss in detail the advantages and disadvantages of each recommended vinyl flooring product. We also offer professional vinyl installation to help protect your investment in the future and our wide selection of San Diego laminate flooring options ensures we have the pattern, style and finish to match your personality and existing space.