Transition moldings create a smooth and attractive transition from one flooring surface to another, whether you’re transitioning hardwood to carpet or laminate to tile flooring. Vista homeowners should not skip the step of installing transition molding. Without this type of molding, your beautiful floors will have unfinished and abrupt edges that are unattractive and leave your floor unprotected. There are different types of molding, so it’s important to know which type you need for different areas of your home. Here are 5 common transition moldings to choose from.

  1. Seam Binders
    Seam binders are used to transition from one wood floor to another wood floor. They work to bridge the gap between two floors of equal height and are usually installed in doorways. Seam binders have screws drilled into a gap between the two floors. The molding will not be attached to either floor to allow for the natural expansion and contraction of the wood. While seam binders are usually used for hardwood floors, they can also be used to keep the edges of carpet from fraying, prevent vinyl edges from curling, or create a transition between other types of flooring of equal height.
  2. T-Molding
    T-molding is the most well-known and distinct type of transition molding. When viewed from the side, this type of molding has an obvious T-shape and is used to transition between hard flooring of the same height. In most cases, T-molding is used to connect hardwood, engineered wood, and laminate flooring, but it can also be used between wood or laminate and tiled surfaces.
  3. Reducer
    Reducer molding is commonly used to transition between ceramic tile, vinyl, wood, or low-pile carpet and laminate flooring of different heights. There are two main types of reducers: carpet reducers, also known as end molding, and hard surface reducers. End molding is used for a smooth transition from hard flooring to carpet. Vista homeowners should choose this option if there is a significant difference in height between the two floors.
  4. Carpet Edge Gripper
    This type of transition has a very specific purpose: transitioning from carpet to a lower surface like tile or vinyl flooring. Carpet grippers work by holding the edge of the carpet with metal teeth in the gripper section. The gripper is tacked to the subfloor beneath the carpet. A thin metal transition section will be visible.
  5. Quarter Round
    Hard flooring is not installed flush with the wall or it will buckle or warp when it expands and contracts. Quarter round molding is installed against baseboard and other fixed objects to hide space where expansion of the floor is needed, and it may also be installed if you remove carpet from a room and replace it with laminate or hardwood without replacing the baseboard. To cover the visible gap, quarter round can be installed.

Though transition molding is usually simple enough to install without the help of professionals, installing the actual flooring can be a bit more complicated. If you’re looking for professional floor installation in Vista, reach out to the flooring experts at Unique Flooring. Call 760-945-0010 today for a free quote.x